Since its inception in 1974, SPON has worked tirelessly to protect and save open space and improve water quality in Newport Harbor. SPON has partnered with numerous community groups and companies to implement our mission.
SPON is currently active in, or has had a direct influence on...
- The 30 by 30 Initiative to preserve 30% of California’s land and coastline by 2030.
- Private Encroachments - SPON supports the California Coastal Commission’s mandate to remove illegal private property encroachments on Newport Beach oceanfront residential properties.
- SPON monitored and responded to several environmentally sensitive projects including the management plan for the Western Snowy Plover and the lower Big Canyon renovation project.
- Environmental Nature Center - SPON members were instrumental in raising funds for the Center’s current facility.
- Local Coastal Plan - SPON added significant comments to the Newport Beach Local Coastal Plan that was developed for submission to the Coastal Commission.
Green Vision Project - SPON was responsible, in part, for the Green Vision Project which identifies key pieces of land in Orange County that could be candidates for access for wildlife and open space recreation.
Other projects have included the defeat of Measure L, support of Newport Bay View Park, treated wastewater release into the bay, Water Quality Initiatives, Park Ordinances, Bay Beautiful Week, Measure A.