As reflected in our historic tag line near the bottom of this page, Stop Polluting Our Newport is dedicated to preserving the existing charm and beauty of our City, and generally supports the City’s General Plan Vision Statement (although by no means all the development given the “Greenlight” through the public’s vote on that plan’s development tables in 2006 — much of which seems at odds with the stated vision).
Adherence to the City’s residential character and residential density makes it crucial to form zoning and planning regulations that promote this vision and goal, sustaining the City of Newport Beach as an unparalleled place to live, visit and work.
SPON has been working on its own vision and mission since 1974 when a torrential rainstorm contaminated Newport Bay and inspired citizens to come together to actively protect and preserve Newport Beach’s unique environment.
Building a cohesive and comprehensive voice throughout the community is paramount if we are to protect and preserve the residential and environmental qualities that make Newport Beach such a desirable community, first and foremost, for its residents. And that takes time, energy, volunteers and funding.
Your contributions to SPON, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax deductible. We encourage you to join your friends and neighbors in funding SPON’s efforts to protect and preserve the residential and environmental character of our Newport Beach. Thank you.
Newport Beach is a gem of a City. And that is by no accident. Our City celebrates a unique environment largely because SPON members and citizens have taken the initiative to:
- Limit the number of flights and passengers using Orange County Airport and maintain the current night curfew
- Stop a coastal freeway from dividing Newport Beach in two
- Limit the height of buildings ringing the waterfront
- Keep the Upper Bay an undeveloped and natural estuary
- Provide adequate numbers of pump-out stations for boats
- Require housing developers to dedicate land for public parks
- Promote a cleaner bay and stop inland nurseries from releasing algae-producing nutrients that run into the bay
- Convince the Irvine Company to dedicate open space around the Upper Bay
- Require developments that generate traffic to improve traffic flow on streets and intersections
- Keep beaches and the bay clean with periodic clean-up events
SPON is for everyone. Please join us as we work to protect and preserve Newport Beach’s unique environment. SPON dues are tax deductible. General contributions are too, and are always welcome and put to good use.
New member applications, membership renewals and Supporter options are available on our Support page.